How to Petition for Judicial Release

Akron Judicial Release Attorney

What is Judicial Release?

If you are serving time in prison, there is a chance that you may be eligible for early release (with probation) granted by the judge who sentenced you. This is referred to as " judicial release." My criminal defense law firm, Christopher G. Thomarios, Esq. LLC can help you with the process of petitioning for Ohio's judicial release program.

Whether you are the prison inmate or a loved one who wants to help, I can provide you with guidance each step of the way. You do not want to compromise your chances for early release simply because you did not file your petition correctly. As an Akron criminal defense lawyer with more than a decade of experience, I am more than ready to assist you!

How to Petition for Judicial Release in Ohio

Below are the steps that you will need to follow in order to petition for judicial release, according to information provided by the Office of the Ohio Public Defender:

Determine Your Eligibility: The first step in applying for judicial release is to determine whether or not you actually qualify for it. This determination will be based on various factors, including what portion of your non-mandatory prison term you have already served and whether there are disqualifying factors to your conviction. I can help you determine your eligibility.

Prepare a Motion: The most crucial part of the motion for judicial release is the memorandum, in explains why you believe you should be granted early release. A few of the things that are usually helpful to explain in memorandum include reflection on your criminal past and your experience in prison, any rehabilitation you completed while in prison and your plans for avoiding crime and improving your life once you are released. You will also need to fill out paperwork, and you will need to obtain a certificate of service. This serves as your guarantee that you will be mailing a copy of the motion to the prosecutor's office.

File the Motion: You cannot file your motion until you have served the minimum amount of your non-mandatory sentence as required under the judicial release program. Your motion must be filed with the trial court in the county where you were convicted. It will be important to comply with the requirements of the specific county in which you are filing. The original and at least one copy of the motion should be sent to the court clerk's office, and a copy should also be sent to the prosecutor's office.

Once you motion is filed, a hearing may or may not be scheduled. A motion cannot be granted without a hearing. If your request is denied "without prejudice," it may be possible try again in the future with another motion. If the request is denied "with prejudice," you cannot file another motion.

Call Our Skilled Akron Criminal Defense Attorney

In addition to the information provided here, there are also many other factors you will need to consider when petitioning for judicial release. Because each eligible inmate can only be given one judicial release hearing, it is vital that you do it right the first time around.

Contact my firm for assistance with your motion!


  • Highly Recommended by Past Clients
  • Guidance Through the Criminal Process
  • One-on-One Attention to Each Client
  • Licensed in State & Federal Courts
  • Free In-House Consultation
  • Backed By 15 Years of Experience

Request Your Free Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy