Frequently Asked Questions
Answers From an Akron Criminal Defense Attorney
If you've just been
charged with a crime, then you may have a number of questions about your situation. Fortunately,
I am available to answer any of your questions and discuss your case during
your free case evaluation. Please don't hesitate to contact my office
or submit an online form to get started.
Meanwhile, here are some answers to commonly asked questions. Take a minute
to review them!
Ready to start? Schedule your
free case evaluation today!
What should I ask my criminal defense attorney at my first consultation?
Before you hire an attorney, there are certain questions you should ask:
- How many successful cases have you handled?
- Do you specialize in criminal defense?
- In what associations are you a member?
- Have you defended a case like mine before?
- Are you in good standing with your state bar?
- Do you have more than 5 years of experience?
- Do you have any extra training in criminal defense?
- How are you planning on defending me?
Will my case go to trial?
This all depends on your case. You can avoid trial through a few different methods.
- Convincing the prosecution to drop charges, because it isn't worth it
- Convincing the judge that the charges are invalid because they were not
filed on legal grounds or there is too little evidence, in which case,
the charges will be dismissed.
- Accepting a plea bargain in return for a concession, e.g. decreased charges
What is the difference between a misdemeanor and felony?
Most crimes are classified as a misdemeanor or a felony. A misdemeanor
is the lesser offense and incurs penalties of jail time for less than
a year, while a felony incurs penalties of jail time for more than a year.
Some crimes can be charged as a felony or a misdemeanor, so these are
known as wobbler offenses.
Here are some examples of misdemeanors:
Here are some examples of felonies:
- Grand theft
- Aggravated assault
- Fourth OVI or Aggravated OVI
- Sexual conduct with a minor
- Breaking and entering
Have more questions?
I have the answers. I have more than a decade of experience in criminal
law and have successfully defended a number of clients throughout the
Akron and Cleveland area.
Get in touch with my Akron criminal defense firm today!